Accelerate your Career as a Bartender ,Have you ever regarded a bartender jobs as an opportunity to make sufficient money? Then to inform you that it’s an occupation that is needed worldwide.
Pursuing the career as a Bartender
Bartending needs a wide range of skills. You will be having deep subject matter knowledge while performing your job. You can make decent money. You will have flexible hours and unlimited vacation days. It will give you more opportunities to meet new and interesting people.
What does a Bartender do?
They mix and serve alcoholic beverages according to customer requests. An excellent Bartender knows about mixology. He is capable of mixing traditional drinks and crafting creative cocktails. By mixing and serving quality cocktails, a successful bartender increases customer retention.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring to verify legal age requirements for all customers
- Dealing with cash and credit card transactions and operating the cash register
- Cleaning the bar area to maintain a clean work area
- Helping customer to know the bar menu and drink ingredients
- Managing and tracking bar account
- Serving food and drink items as requested
- Networking with customers and creating a positive and friendly environment
- Mix drinks using a comprehensive range of ingredients
- Washing bar glasses, utensils, and other equipments
- Maintaining all local and national liquor laws
You do not need any formal degree requirements to become a bartender. But many employers ask for a high school diploma or GED or a training program certificate. According to some state’s laws, a bartender needs certification or licensing to serve alcohol. Besides formal training, bartenders learn most of their skills on the job.
In general, at least a one year of bartending experience is required. You should have experience in a hospitality or food and beverage position. Your experience as a Waiter, Hostess or Front Desk Agent is valuable. Sometimes, entry-level Bartenders can start with no previous experience.
- The workplace is fun and easy-going
- Sometimes you have to stand for several hours at a time
- You will need to lift heavy kegs
- At times, you will need to deal with customer complaints
- You will have to check for the proper identification for alcohol consumption
- Most importantly ,you will have to make drinks properly
- While doing administrative duties, you will need to work in front of computer
- Generally, most bartenders have average 4 shifts per week
- Sometimes, the workplace will be noisy to you because of constant music playing.
- It will be tiring sometimes.
Acceptable conditions or Qualifications
- Basic knowledge and fluency with standard drink recipes
- Read and speak English fluently
- Enthusiastic and active personality
- Well-built customer service and interpersonal skills
- Basic computer skills
- Minimum age to serve alcohol
- Strong task and time management capabilities
- Speaking multi-language is a plus
- Having prior knowledge of working in a restaurant
- Be able to listen more and talk nice
- Having patience and keeping a calm mind
- Available to work nights, weekends and holidays
- Keeping bar organized, stocked and clean
- Skillful to adjust focus between close and distance vision
- Expert in planning, problem solving and teamwork
- Expanding budgets
- Having a positive attitude
- A self-motivate person
Flourish your skills
- Being proficient while making drinks
- Better communication skills
- Be honest and have integrity
- Maintaining a fast-paced work environment
- Being highly energetic
- Walking and standing during entire shift
- Ability to work on flexible schedules
- Capable of reaching and bending or frequently lifting nearly 30 pounds
- Owning good dress sense for looking neat and attractive
- Having good math skills
- Expert in multitasking for getting several tasks done in a short time
- Having organizational skills
- Having stress management skills
- attentive to applicable laws and regulations
- Being responsible for preserving inventory and processing payments
- Be able to increase customer satisfaction and responsiveness
- Ability to move and handle glass equipments with care and in a manner that they won’t break
- Capability of memorizing order and make sure that the right order gets to the right customer
- Being able to deal with intoxicated customers professionally
- Knowing multi-languages
- Having good bar management skill
You need minimum a high school diploma or GED for your educational qualifications. There is also Bartending School to earn a certification. If you are a fresher, you can have foods and alcohol handling certification from these schools. You can get training on complete mixology courses as well. It will help you craft different cocktails. However, every bartender receives their necessary trainings on their job.
Career paths for bartenders
In terms of career paths, bartenders get multiple options. And some of them work for years. They can perfect their trade and become highly sought after employees by this. But some gain knowledge about the restaurant and service industry. And then they become bar/restaurant managers and even restaurant owners. So it depends on you how you will choose your career path.
Salaries can vary from bar to bar. Depending on your experience, education and the geographical location, your pay rate may vary a lot. But you will make minimum income with tips. Te salary will also vary depending how many hours you are willing to work. And the level of success the bar has, the more you will earn. You will earn tips depends on the customers and how well you serve them. To add more, you will also earn for holidays and vacations. There is also a possibility that you won’t get taxed on your cash tips. Perhaps not even on your credit card tips depending on the establishment.
Look for job opportunities
The foremost condition for getting a job opportunity is having an impressive network. Networking will help you a lot to find a job that will satisfy your demand. So make sure you can communicate with people a lot. Your good communication skill will bring you success in near future.
So to be a bartender, just be confident and talk to a hiring manager. Just give it a try, but make sure you have some restaurant experiences first. This will become easier for you to get the ultimate financial freedom.
Last Upded : 03/04/2021