one of the most common words that are rarely unknown to people. But do we know what this term refers to?
In brief, an interview is a conversation between two sides. It can be formal as well as a casual conversation. Here, one participant asks questions from one side and the other participants provide answers. The participant who asks questions is called an interviewer and the other participant who gives answers is called an interviewee.
So, an interview is a formal conversation between an interviewer and an interviewee about a job that you have applied for. Whatever it is, an interview or an examination, you have to prepare in such a manner so that you can prove yourself the most appropriate person for the applied job.
Besides, at the time of participating in an interview, you have to follow some manner. We will discuss those manners in this article.
What to do
This article is not only for job interviews but also for another situation, as like when you want to impress someone. So here are the things that you should do in case of facing an interview.
- Do Homework: At first, do your homework. In detail, when you go for a job interview, you have to know about the company. Nowadays, it’s easy to know something through the internet. Moreover, almost every organization or company has an official website. So, go through the website as well as the information that is available on the internet.
In addition to that, keep proper information of the special things about the company. You can get this information from the internal employees of that company (if you know anyone accustomed to). You can read the yearly published journal if that is available on the internet or in the market. These will keep you a step ahead from the other candidates.
Besides, you should get ready for answering any questions about your applied position. This will prove that you are apt to take the responsibilities of the job. In short, you have to demonstrate that you are the most appropriate candidate for the applied position.
Another important thing is, know the exact location and go there in person (if possible) at least a day before the interview. So, it will help you to select the most efficient way to reach the interview at the right time.
- Carry Copies of Your Resume: Whether you send your resume via email a thousand times or not, it doesn’t matter. You have to carry a resume with you at the time of the interview. The interviewer does not need to ask you to show your resume. But the point is, if the interviewer wants to see the resume, then you have to show it. It will prove that you are interested to do the job with the utmost care.
On the other hand, if you failed to show your resume, it will consider as a negative point and will look unprofessional. You may seem an irresponsible person to the interviewer as well. So, it’s better to be careful from the very beginning.
- Good Non-verbal Behavior: In addition to usual behavior, an interview also examines the non-verbal behavior of a candidate. So, you have to aware of this behavior. You should keep an eye-contact with the interviewer (or the interviewers) at the time of an interview. Besides, you have to sit straight and should be confident with your body stance. Look interested in all angles. Don’t move without necessity.
Moreover, keep your hands on your lap instead of the table. Also, keep your eye-contact to all proportionately if there remains more than one interviewer. It will make the interviewers feel that you are giving equal importance to all of them.
- Keep your mobile turn off: Keep all of your mobiles and other electronic devices turned completely off. Because it may bother the interviewer if your phone rings all of a sudden. Additionally, the sound of the phone will break the natural environment of the interview. This one inappropriate circumstance can prove that you are not the desired person they (the interviewers) are looking for.
So, don’t take a risk and keep your phone switched off before entering into an interview.
- Be honest: Always be confident and be honest about the information that you have mentioned in your resume. Also, the information you are giving should be consistent with your resume. If any of the things prove that you are lying, you won’t be selected for the job. So, always provide authentic information.
What not to do
Besides the things that you should do, you have to avoid some manners in an interview board. So the things that you should stop doing are as follows.
- Don’t be late or don’t be early: First of all, don’t be late for the interview. Say, your interview will start at 10 pm, but you present there at 10.15 pm. It proves you are not serious about this job. Besides, you will probably lose the chance to attend the interview.
On the other hand, if you present at 9.00 am and if you are setting in the waiting room, you may become impatient. The situation will be worse if you talk to other participants. So, keep 30 minutes in hand will be perfect.
- Throw your current or former employer under the bus: Many of us just say something bad about the current or the former employer. Whether we do it intentionally or not, this is such a manner that we all must avoid. It will not help you to get the job. Rather, it will help your interviewers to keep you out of the most potential candidates.
- I’ll do whatever: In the interview, if the employer asks and you just agree with all of the conditions with the employer, it may change your life in a good way or a bad way. So, you must avoid doing this.
Therefore, one interview can change your life. So, be prepared for your interview, keep confidence, and believe that you can do something better.
Last Upded : 03/04/2021